What is depression?
Depression is a mood disorder when people experience excessive sadness, loss of interest in enjoyable things, and low motivation. Depression is not only a sadness it is emptiness, it is misery. It is as real as any physical diseases .It seems as if you have fallen into a bottomless pit and there is no hope of life. Sometimes it becomes tough to deal with depression if you neglect or hesitate. There are many ways about how to handle with depression.
One of three people are having mental health issues. Depression can hit you in any stage of your life. Even the successful people who always look happy also had faced at some point of their life but they have overcome with their will and determination and so can you. No matter how bad your depression is, you cab deal with it completely just if you bring about a certain discipline in your life.
Symptoms of depression
The signs of depression are
- Loss of appetite with excessive loss of weight.
- reduced sexual desire and bad performance
- physically inactive fatigue, pains, headache
- Loss of sleep despite feeling exhausted or some people sleep more than usual
- Having regular thoughts about being guilty, being a bad and unworthy person
- Mood swings: anger, aggressiveness, irritability, anxiousness, restlessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in usual activities
- Feeling miserable: feeling empty, sad, hopeless
- Thought of giving up on life or harming yourself
- inability to concentrate, difficulty completing tasks
Causes Of Depression
No one knows the actual cause of depression. It is considered that 30% of depression cases are due to genetic factors . You have a high chance of depression if you have a family history of depression or other mental disorder. Other reasons are
- Conflict in relations or losing someone close to you.
- Early childhood trauma
- Drug or alcohol misuse can affect your risk.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions that have higher risk, such as chronic illness, insomnia, chronic pain
- Depression and anxiety in college students due to love life, family pressure and career thoughts.
Consequences of depression
Don’t neglect depression if you notice the above symptoms. Depression is a serious mental health illness which results
- weight gain or loss
- physical pain
- substance use problems
- panic attacks
- relationship problems
- social isolation
- thoughts of suicide
Depression can worsen the following conditions
- cardiovascular disease
How To Deal With the Depression?
Depression occurs in one of three people in the world . If you are facing it don’t get worried and don’t take it too lightly. How to deal with depression ?
If you just eat the right food, you can generate enough neurotransmitters to totally discard the need for an anti depression pill. You should avoid anti depression pills until you are in severe depression.
- Consult with therapist
- Eat healthy food rather than junk foods
- Spent time with nature
- Do 30 mins of physical exercise 3 to 5 days a week. Exercise increases your body’s production of endorphins hormones that improve your mood.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Spend your time on enjoyable activities with family, friends.
- Meditation helps to manage anxiety, depression and pain.
Some depression quotes
“I wanted to talk about it. Damn it. I wanted to scream. wanted to yell. wanted to shout about it. But all I could was whisper “I’m fine.”
“The sun is a daily reminder that we too can rise again from the darkness, that we too can shine our own light.”